Everything You Need To Know About Locked iPhones
When you think of a locked iPhone, the first image you’ll have in your head is of a black screen. This isn’t anything to be ashamed off, most people would assume this. However, with this new era of smartphones, comes more complications. So, if you’re looking for an explanation, read on!
Table of Contents
What is a Locked iPhone?
The answer to this question isn’t as simple as it seems. Locked iPhones can mean three distinct things depending on the situation and person:
- A locked home screen: The simplest definition, but not the one we’re explaining in this article.
- Carrier Locked iPhone: This is an iPhone that is compatible with a single carrier or network provider. This is what the article goes into.
- Jailed iPhone: This is a phone that is restricted to using applications and operating systems approved by Apple. This is a normal iPhone that you and I are aware of. The concept of ‘Jail-breaking’ involves overriding your iPhone to be able to customize it any way you wish.
Carrier Locked iPhones:
As mentioned above, carrier-locked iPhones are those restricted to a particular carrier or network provider. This isn’t a widely seen phenomenon in India, but if you’ve ever bought an iPhone from another country to use in India, you might be familiar with this.
Let’s take an example to explain this. In America, a network provider like Verizon can lock an iPhone to be used specifically with their carrier. This means you won’t be able to use any other network provider, say AT&T, or have it work in another country with a different network provider.
Why Are They Locked?
In countries like America, carriers can lock an iPhone to force you to stick to their plans. When you’re forced to stick to a particular carrier, they can collect their dues through the duration of the contract.
Are All iPhones Locked?
The simple answer is no, not all iPhones are locked. In India, you rarely see locked iPhones. When you buy an iPhone from an Apple store, you get an unlocked iPhone. But, if you buy the same iPhone from a network, it is likely to be locked.
How Can I Tell If My iPhone Is Locked?
There is an extremely simple method to check if your iPhone is unlocked if you’re a little worried:
- Go to Settings
- Go to Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options
- If you see an option named Mobile Data Network, your iPhone is most likely unlocked.
How Can I Unlock My iPhone?
Usually, the carrier the iPhone is linked to will have instructions on their website. There might be an option to request to unlock your iPhone. After providing a few details, the carrier will unlock your iPhone.
Why Is An Unlocked iPhone Beneficial?
There are two main reasons:
- Freedom: You can switch carriers at will. If you’re going on vacation, you can quickly put in a temporary SIM card for the duration of your visit. There are no costs when you’re travelling and switching countries.
- Value: An unlocked iPhone is definitely worth more than a locked iPhone. A phone with greater flexibility will always be worth more.
Do I Have To Worry About A Locked iPhone?
If you live in India and you’re buying your iPhone here, you have nothing to worry about. However, if you’re bringing an iPhone back from America, you might want to look into this. You won’t be able to use your iPhone, rendering it useless in any other country you go to.
So, there we have it! This is as much as we can tell you about locked iPhones. For any more queries click on this link to know more! While it isn’t a normal occurrence in India, it is helpful information to have in case you’re thinking of taking a quick trip to another country.
What are your thoughts on locked iPhones?