Take a minute to be safe and learn about Data Restoration!
Have you ever accidentally deleted a file, photo, email, or number? Have you given up all hope because there was no way you were getting that information back? Well, there’s a way to get the data back to your phone. Data restoration is a process that seems daunting. We mostly associate it with the IT person doing complicated things with a computer. But we’re here to show you how to recover your lost data by yourself! We’ve created a handy guide with some tips and tricks on data restoration!
Table of Contents
- 1 What is data restoration?
- 2 Data restoration for Androids
- 3 Data restoration for iPhones:
- 4 Data transfer From an Android to an iPhone:
- 5 How to restore deleted WhatsApp chat:
What is data restoration?
Data restoration is the process of retrieving data that has been lost or corrupted. We usually associate it with a computer, but it can be done on phones as well. It is not as complicated as we believe it is, and only takes a few simple steps. Part of the data restoration process is backing up data. Backing up of data refers to the copying of your information in case it gets lost or corrupted.
For our first Tip: always Backup your data. Whether it be to your computer, a hard drive, or the Cloud, make sure to Backup your data; otherwise, you risk losing it forever. No guide can help you retrieve information that doesn’t exist anymore. Always make a copy!
A lot of phones come equipped with a ‘cloud’ these days. What this means is that your data is being stored in a digital space. The most famous is the iCloud. Whatever data you save on your phone is automatically copied to the iCloud and accessed through all your Apple gadgets. Some android phones have this feature as well! Tip: A google drive can also be a great place to Backup your data, and they allow you up to 15GB of free space!. It is definitely worth paying for cloud storage space if you have the option!
Data restoration for Androids
Coming to data restoration itself, there are different methods between android and iOS systems. There are different methods between android phones as well. We have data restoration steps on three major android companies: OnePlus, Xiaomi, and Samsung.
Data restoration procedure for OnePlus:
Step 1: Go to ‘Menu’ and then ‘Settings.’
Step 2: Click on ‘Backup and Restore.’
Step 3: Click on ‘Restore’
Step 4: Enter the details of the google account you used while setting up the phone.Tip: Choose the latest Backup to be restored.
Step 5: Click on ‘Restore’ again and wait for the restoration to complete.
Step 6: Restart your phone and all your data will have been restored
Data Restoration procedure for Samsung:
Step 1: Tap on Settings and click on Accounts and Backup.
Step 2: Go to Backup and restore.
Step 3: Go to Restore data, select your device
Step 4: Select the files you need to restore.
Step 5: Tap Restore.
Step 6: There will be on-screen instructions to restore backup data if needed.
Data restoration procedure for Xiaomi:
Step 1: Log in to your MI account on your phone
Step 2: Go to settings
Step 3: Click on MI account>MI Cloud>Restore from Backup
Step 4: Choose the files you need to restore and click on the option to Restore.
From the Backup app:
Step 1: Go to the Xiaomi Backup App
Step 2: Run the app
Step 3: Choose the file you want to restore and hit Restore.
Data restoration for iPhones:
For iPhones, there are two main methods of data restoration:
1. Turn the device on, and you will see the ‘Hello’ screen. If you have already set up the device, you will have to erase it before you can restore from Backup.
2. Follow the on-screen steps until you reach Apps and Data. Tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
3. Sign in to iCloud.
4. Choose your Backup based on the size and date. If a software update is required, follow the steps to update.
5. Sign in with your Apple ID to be able to restore any app purchases.
6. Wait for the downloads to finish and do not opt-out of the page or disconnect from WiFi.
You can also restore data from a backup on your computer:
- Open iTunes from your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with a USB cable and follow the steps on the screen to allow access to your device.
- Select your phone from Finder or iTunes.
- Select restore backup.
- Pick the most relevant Backup.
- Tap “Restore” and wait for the Backup to finish.
- Disconnect your device only after it has restarted and synced with your computer once more.
You can also recover data from your Android phone and transfer it to your new iPhone. While it is easy to transfer data from an Android to an Android, it becomes harder when it is a new iPhone. The iPhone is notorious for being unreasonable when needing to transfer data, so be careful and carefully follow the following steps.
Data transfer From an Android to an iPhone:
- Turn on your iPhone and set it up until you reach the “Apps & Data” part.
- Choose the “Move Data from Android” option.
- On your Android phone, open the Google Play Store and search for “Move to iOS.”
- Install the Move to iOS app.
- Open after it’s installed.
- Click ‘continue’ on both devices.
- Enter the 12-digit code displayed that will be displayed on your iPhone into your Android device.
- Select the data you want to transfer.
- Once the data is transferred, the devices will disconnect, and you can continue setting up your iPhone.
- Once you’re done setting it up, log in to the accounts from your iPhone, and you’re done!
How to restore deleted WhatsApp chat:
A lot of our daily texting is done via WhatsApp. A lot of meaningful conversations, pictures, and other data are stored on the app. Losing this data can be devastating. But, there is always hope. Restoring lost WhatsApp chats isn’t impossible as long as you’ve got a backup. Three tips to remember before you proceed with data restoration:
- Make sure you are allowing it to backup: Whether you’re using iOS or Android, you’re not going to be able to restore your data if you don’t have a backup. WhatsApp automatically backs up your data to Google Drive or iCloud.
- Ensure you have a backup before trying to restore data: While WhatsApp should take care of this automatically, it is always good to make sure you have a backup.
- Be careful: If you’re not cautious about data storage and management, you’re bound to lose your data forever. Make sure you’re safe during data restoration.
How to Restore WhatsApp chats on iPhones:
Using iCloud Backup:
Step 1: Check if the backup exists by going to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup
Step 2: Once you’ve confirmed that it exists, uninstall, and reinstall the app.
Step 3: Once prompted click ‘Restore’ to retrieve lost data
How to restore WhatsApp chats on Android:
Using Google Drive:
Step 1: Check if your Whatsapp backups are on Google Drive by going to the app, opening the menu > Backups > Tap On the backup you want to see
Step 2: Reinstall WhatsApp
Step 3: Verify your number
Step 4: Tap’ Restore’
Step 5: Tap’ Next’
Step 6: Chats will be displayed once the process is complete, and media files will be shown a few minutes after.
Using Local Backup:
Step 1: Locate your phone’s file manager (or download Google Files App if you cannot)
Step 2: Open the ‘WhatsApp folder’> ‘Database’.
Step 3: Locate the file msgstore.db.crypt12 and change it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12
Step 4: Look at the other files; the format of the file names are msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. These are your older files. Pick the one you’d like to restore and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12
Step 5: Open Google Drive and locate your backup, as shown in the previous section, and delete it.
Step 6: Uninstall and Reinstall the app as you would normally.
Step 7: Tap’ Restore’.
Note: Be very careful during the data restoration of WhatsApp chats!
There you have it! A complete guide to restoring your data on your mobile device and if needed a guide to transferring your data from an android to an iPhone, and for lost Whatsapp chats. Data is important and needs to be handled sensitively. One wrong step and you can lose all your data forever. Don’t forget important tips like the need to back up your phone and correctly transfer data from your old phone to your new phone. It takes just a minute to be safe!